In the summer of 1983, six months away from launching the first Macintosh, Steve Jobs said, ‘It would be a little like a record store, where the software would be downloaded over phone lines.’
Fast forward 25 years, that definitely happened and we call it AppStore today!
Mobile apps were introduced in the world just more than a decade ago. Over the time span, the usage of smartphones has increased exponentially.
Moreover, with the spread of COVID-19, the mobile app development industry has evolved at a break-neck speed. With over 5.27 Billion smartphone users worldwide, it’s certain that smartphone and mobile app users are steadily growing, without any sign of looking back or receding.
Top App Download Statistics You Should Know To Gear Up For 2021
For someone who owns an app or is planning to build one, the listed figures reflect the market behaviour.
- The Apple App Store (used by 62.90% of smartphone owners) and the Google Play Store (64.52%) are the most-used mobile app stores on the market.
- 130 billion mobile apps were downloaded by consumers in 2020.
- Global mobile app revenues in 2018 amounted to $581.9 billion.
- A consumer spends 3.7 hours on their mobile phone per day. And of the time spent on mobiles, 88% of the time is spent on the apps.
- Google Play Store is the largest mobile app market in the world with 2.87 million apps as of the 3rd quarter of 2020.
- 96.1% of apps on Google Play and 90.4% of apps on the App Store are free.
- On average, more than 30,000 new iOS apps are released in the Apple App Store every month.
- On average, more than 100,000 new Android apps are released in the Google Play Store every month.
So you see – With over thousands of apps being deployed every month, the competition is really high. That’s why it is important for the companies to refine their approach to maximize the app store’s success and generate app downloads & engagements. And that’s what App Store Optimization is for.
Scroll down to get the deets.
What is App Store Optimization?
App Store Optimization (ASO) is the process of optimizing mobile applications and improving their visibility in order for them to rank high in the app store’s search results and increase conversion rate. This increases the chance of an app getting downloaded.
App store optimization is quite challenging. However, do note that the goal of ASO is to not only get traffic but to also get a good number of installations and a higher click-through rate (CTR).
Some of the other reasons for performing App Store Optimization are:
- Put your app in front of the right users
- Audience engagement
- Increased brand exposure
- Increase organic app downloads
- Eliminate user acquisition costs
- Positive app reviews and ratings
- Marketing channel diversification
ASO is not a one-shot but an ongoing process. Now that you are done with the basics and know how important ASO is for your app’s success, it’s time to know how to start with it.
Follow these steps to optimize your apps.
How to optimize your mobile app for app stores?
Consider these tips to effectively market your app, identify your competitors and take your app towards success.
Keep a list of targeted keywords handy. Aligning your keywords and customers’ needs will help them find your app more easily on the app store. But do not try to guess the targeted keywords on your own. Know the actual keywords that users are searching for with the help of tools like Straply, Google Adwords Keyword Planner and Keyword Tool. Remember to-
- Not use keywords unrelated to your app.
- Use only one form (singular/plural) of a keyword.
- Not use keywords with the word ‘app’ or the name of your competitors’ brand
Optimize your title and description
The app title is the very first thing a user sees. Therefore, it needs to be unique, catchy and should speak volume about the app & its features. To increase your title’s success chance, it’s best to incorporate title tags and keywords into it naturally.
Try to keep your title under 25 characters so that it is visible on the app browse screen. When it comes to the app’s description, it should include as many relevant keywords as possible (without stuffing). Place the keyword in the first 250 characters.
Pictures are the very first thing that grabs the user’s attention, even before the text. Keep your icon simple yet compelling as it will give you an edge in the app marketplace.
Choose an app icon that speaks about your app and will be memorable for your brand. Don’t put too many elements into your icon. Try using different colour combinations than the other similar apps. Avoid including words in your icon. Use soft colour for your background to enhance the main element.
The designers should create UI/UX design keeping in mind to:
- Use brand colours
- Using readable fonts
- Displaying in-app/character art
- Incorporate a call-to-action to increase conversion rates
Screenshots and Preview Video
The screenshots and preview video highlights the functionality and interface of your app. It gives users a clear picture of what the app looks like and how it will work if downloaded. Upload the screenshots and a video that reflects your app’s most valuable feature.
Moreover, previewing a video within your app’s page is likely to increase downloads by 35%.
The Bottom Line
The market is backed with tons of apps to download. Hence, the competition is getting steeper. Therefore, you need to get rid of those traditional ways to have your app to be discovered.
If you want to have a successful app with lots of visibility and downloads, pay close attention to the App Store Optimization strategy. Rest, if you are new to the field and need assistance, get in touch with the best mobile app development company.